Andy Dingley

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 13:34:55 -0500, "Chris"
wrote:

I am interested in doing some Arts & Crafts projects. I would be using
quadrilinear Posts.

In almost every case, a simple solid post does the job. You can use
the assembled post technique to make thick posts from thin timber, but
it's rarely necessary. I'd only do it if I had really nicely figured
timber, the completed post was visible, and it was for a client who
understood what quarter sawing means.

The thing that worries me is everything I read talks of
gluing 4 boards around a center post,

I've not heard of that one. Usually it's four sides, and some sort of
lock mitre cut to hold them in place for gluing. No centre at all.

There's also the approach of simply veneering the tangential surfaces,
but use a veneer you sawed yourself from the same timber. Obviously
this doesn't help you make thicker posts from thin stock.