Default Technique in sharpening blades on sandpaper

I've been having some difficulty using the "scary sharp"
system to sharpen with sandpaper on glass. Specifically,
I find that plane blades and worse yet chisels tend
to catch and tear the sandpaper, even though I am using
a Veritas jig. I think I am using a reasonable amount
of pressure, much less than I do on a stone. I have
had some luck trying to sharpen on the pull stroke,
rather than the push stroke, but this does not seem
optimal. Any suggestions on how to avoid this
problem?

Thanks,
--
Mike Lacy, Ft Collins CO 80523