"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"BIGEYE" wrote in message

Nobody seems to know the answer to this one.
I am considering using 6mm stainless steel as a BBQ plate. I have heard
that you can't use stainless steel for cooking food on a BBQ as SS is
full of nasties.
Can anyone confirm this?
TIA

We here all know the answer, you were just asking a bunch of idiots in
the past.

Stainless steel is a very good material to cook on. Some of the best
cookware and the best grills use it, as well as medical devices, eating
utensils, etc. SS is required for many things in the food processing and
restaurants business because it can be sanitized and has not ill effects
on the food it touches.

GALVANIZED steel, the zinc plated stuff should not be used. Now you can
inform the know-nothings of the past with the true information.

As Edwin said, all SS is food safe. The most commonly used a

Type 304

The most common of austenitic grades, containing approximately 18% chromium
and 8% nickel. It is used for chemical processing equipment, for food,
dairy, and beverage industries, for heat exchangers, and for the milder
chemicals.

Type 316

Contains 16% to 18% chromium and 11% to 14% nickel. It also has molybdenum
added to the nickel and chrome of the 304. The molybdenum is used to
control pit type attack. Type 316 is used in chemical processing, the pulp
and paper industry, for food and beverage processing and dispensing and in
the more corrosive environments. The molybdenum must be a minimum of 2%.

Type 414

Has nickel added (2%) for improved corrosion resistance. Typical
applications include springs and cuttlery.

Type 430

The basic ferritic grade, with a little less corrosion resistance than Type
304. This type combines high resistance to such corrosives as nitric acid,
sulfur gases, and many organic and food acids.

--
Nick. To help with tsunami relief, go to: http://usafreedomcorps.gov/