Ed Huntress

"BIGEYE" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
"BIGEYE" wrote in message
"Tim Killian" wrote in message
Compared to copper and aluminum, SST is terrible at conducting heat.
That's why it's never used for grill surfaces and the best cookware

always
has it laminated with aluminum or copper to spread the heat more
evenly.

BIGEYE wrote:

Nobody seems to know the answer to this one.
I am considering using 6mm stainless steel as a BBQ plate. I have
heard
that you can't use stainless steel for cooking food on a BBQ as SS

is
full of nasties.
Can anyone confirm this?
TIA

So should I use stainless steel, mild steel or what?

Tell us about your BBQ plate. Is it a plain, flat plate? How do you use
it?

Stainless does conduct heat poorly, but the only real problem that

causes
is
uneven heat distribution when you're cooking over a concentrated flame.
That
may or may not be an issue. It would be for a griddle used on a camp

stove
(yes, I made one out of 1/8" stainless sheet around 35 years ago, and it
was
worse than awful) but it could be completely irrelevant for other
applications.

--
Ed Huntress

Plain flat plate with wood burning fire underneath.

Well, that sounds like an invitation to hot-spots with stainless. I'd opt
for plain, mild steel. It distributes heat a lot better and it's easier to
cure, which makes it less likely to stick.

--
Ed Huntress