Robert Allison

Adam wrote:

I am removing old linoleum and will use thinset to adhere Hardibacker
to the plywood floor. How uptight do I need to be about scraping up all
the gray papery stuff that is stuck to the floor? See the following
image to see what I am finding stuck to the plywood:
http://img92.exs.cx/img92/2559/floor4db.jpg
Thanks!

If you are going to apply hardibacker, you could have left the vinyl
in place.

You can moisten the paper backing and scrape it off more easily, let
the floor dry out, then stick the HB with your thinset, but....

I would leave the stuff in place, use your thinset (I actually use
construction adhesive for this, as it is stronger and self shimming
if you use PL400 or equivalent) to stick it down and fasten with screws.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.