top gear

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
drugs began to take hold. I remember "top gear"
saying something like:

From new, the gear oil should be dropped after 2K miles and replaced with
Mobil 1 fully synthetic gear oil. Replace every 2nd service, that is

approx
every 2 years in most cars.

Renew gear oil every second service? What a load of toss. You can use
synthetic gear oil if you wish, but it's good for tens of thousands of
miles of use.

Well yes, about two tens, if you do it every second service. Some makes
change gear oil every 27,000 miles. Sealed for life is nonsense as the
original poster found out. So much for the makers idea of transmission
lubrication.

From new use Mobil 1, or similar, fully synthetic engine oil, and change

as
per makers recommendations. The oil can go longer, so it gives you leeway

on
service intervals. No one has a service 9K miles on the dot. No need to

use
the likes of Slick 50 in the engine if fully synthetic oil is used from

new.

Never use synthetic engine oil 'from new' as the thingymybobs won't bed
in right. Move onto sythetics at the second oil change.

Well after the run in, which obvious, well not some some, which is about
1,000 miles. You could drop the gear and engine oil at 2K miles, all at the
same time.

Really, your advice is misleading ********.

Say that to my auto design engineer friend and he may be tad amused.