Jeff

Lobster wrote :-
Jeff wrote:
This is of interest to me as well, because i am going to replace my

service
pipe, easy, dig trench, lay pipe, stopcock my end, waterboard connect

other
end BUT in the bumph it says that the old lead pipe should be capped so

as
to not leave a dead leg. I share a supply at the moment with next doors

and
the stop valve is in the pavement a good 20 yards from the corner of my
land, so I guess the pipe tee's somewhere in next doors front garden -

how
do I decide where to dig ?

Presumably the water co will have their own views on what to do in this
scenario? I would have thought the last thing you want to do is try and
trace the tee junction - could take forever! What if you cap off the
old lead pipe inside your house, next to where the new pipe enters?
I've seen that done before. Then you'd just need to dig directly from
the entry point to the water co's stop cock (they'll presumably fit a
second stop cock close to the original).

rough plan
_____________________
___________s__________ pavement
| | |
| ___ |___ | front gdns
| | | | |
mine

we'll have to see what they want, the notes say to cap at the join with the
other pipe to avoid dead legs and stagnant water, i'm hoping they'll put me
a stop valve in at the end of my drive but they might not go there as that
would mean digging up the road but when I remove my lead pipe they have to
remove theirs so you never know
Maybe they'll let me keep it for an out side tap ?

Regards Jeff