Tim \(Remove NOSPAM.

"Mark" wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 21:27:33 +0000 (UTC), "Rick Hughes"
wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
.. .
Hi

I have a 10 year old Ford Escort with 92,000 miles on the clock. It's
served me well but I need to get another 12 months/15,000 miles out of
it before I replace it. Over the last 10,000 miles the gearbox has
started to whine, nothing major but the frequency is particularly
annoying, especially at motorway speeds. Is there any additive that
would make an improvement or have I got to live with it? A friend
suggested "molyslip", anyone tried this?
Thanks

Try a heavier oil in the box

OK, so how do I get the old oil out? There's no drain plug on this
model???

Reverse the car / van backwards up a slope to get the front of thr box lower
than the back. It helps if the box is nice and warm after a good run.

You can drain the oil through the plug with the extended nose below te
reverse light switch, however, ensure its in neutral first- this is the
reverse detent spring and rod as you say..

Un do and and withdraw the plug very slowly- you will release the springs
tension before the threads are fully clear and be ready to catch the rod /
spring as you withdraw the plug. Abit messy, but i used to do it this way on
many a cvh equiped mk3 in yesteryear.

Tim..