:::Jerry::::

"top gear" wrote in message

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message

"top gear" wrote in message

"StealthUK" wrote in message
oups.com...

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
A few tears ago I had a boss who had a passat that had done

200,000km
-
I supoose about 160k miles?

Ordinary oil, changed by the book, and it was fine.

Depends on how the car is driven and even 200k miles on modern

engines
is nothing amazing these days. I'd rather go by the condition of the
oil than stick to manufacturer's recommendations.

Regards additives, I believe most of the stuff on the market is a

waste
of space but Slick50 engine oil additive isn't a bad product. I've

used
it and noticed engine noise was reduced, especially during start-up,
with no adverse effects. No idea about the gearbox stuff, never used
it.

It is true that cars can go long mileages without any major work. My

point
was that using Mobil 1 in the engine and g/box and Slick 50 g/box, and

the
change intervals I suggested, the engine and transmission is still as

smooth
as a new one, even after 100K miles. I have come across cars that have
really clocked up the miles with the usual roughness after 70K. The

original
post was about roughness. I suggested how to maintain longevity and
smoothness, which actually does work. My design engineer friends says

that
modern engines are designed to be smooth to 50K miles with normal

servicing
and decent oil, and some engines deteriorate rapidly in smoothness

after
that figure. He recommends fully synthetic oils.

REGULAR OIL CHANGES WILL HAVE THE SAME EFFECT, it doesn't matter what

the
oil is, as long as it is the correct spec' for the engine.

The oil does matter. The best available is fully synthetics like Mobil 1

and
Shell Helix fully synthetics. These oils are much superior to normal

mineral
oils in just about every aspect. This is a know fact that is not open to
question.

So why are they not specified by the people who design / make the engines ?

IMM, you were proved wrong the last time you spouted this marketing bollox
and you will be proved wrong again.

I can't comment on Slick 50 engine treatment as I have never used it.

As
looked after the engines and transmissions from new using the best

oils
available, I have never experienced roughness to say that something

added
stops it.

And I have known vehicles that have gone 150.000 plus miles on nothing

more
than the makers recommended oils whilst being changed on or before the
advised service intervals for the vehicles use.

I am not disputing that. It is maintaining the smoothness and newness feel
for as long as possible that is the point being made by me.

And you are wrong, or are you in fact disputing what I said above ?!

Wonder were IMM is ?....

To answer my own question, he seems to have morphed again :~(