top gear

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Tim S wrote:

I replaced it with (I forget the exact brand) a synthetic gearoil with a
low viscosity/temperature variation, and it was impressively improved.

The
gearbox had suffered over the years, but it worked perfectly well for
several years afterwards until everything else fell off and I traded it

in.

I had a problem with the syncro on second gear graunching when selecting
at over 40mph (changing up or down). Had a chat with the bods who
service it etc, and they said that Shell had developed a gear oil that
was supposed to fix this problem and suggested I give that a try. Went
for a quick gearbox oil change, and it was like a miracle fix - it
restored perfect operation immediately and it has remained that way for
the last 65k miles. It was IIRC, "Shell Gear Oil S". It was about 10
quid a litre mind you!

--
Cheers,

John.

I think the S may have stood for synthetic. It may have been replaced by
Spirax GSX or ASX gear oils. I would check with the Shell technical
department first to be sure.

http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?...ml/iwgen/zzz_l
hn.html&FC3=/global/shell_for_businesses/oils_lubricants/spirax/product_page
s/spirax_gsx_asx_ga_0209.html