Duane Bozarth

PVR wrote:

We have a Radon problem. A house up the street has 90 picoCuries (owners
emit a slight blue glow at night 'g'). The next in line has 40, the next is
12 and then there is ours, not yet tested.

On that basis, one could project something on the order of 4 pCi(/l)...

Peculiar that there's such a gradient--must be some underlying reason
for that assuming the houses in a subdivision are roughly same vintage
and construction.

I have been trying to get info off the 'Net regarding Radon exposures. So
far the best I have obtained refers to a lifetime of exposure (whatever that
means). For example, a lifetime exposure of 10 indicates that 18 people out
of a thousand "could" come down with lung cancer. This is twenty times the
probability that we could die in a house fire.

As indicated this is all based on a lifetime's exposure. What I need to know
is the risk of exposure of a much shorter time, say, two years.

Does anyone know of a data source(s) where I can search for the info I want?
Also is there another NG I should consult?

There's a link from the EPA site

http://www.epa.gov/radon/risk_assessment.html

that has a secondary link to a revised study that is supposed to have a
risk model to calculate a numerical estimate of the risk per unit
exposure [lung cancer deaths per working level month (WLM)].

http://www.epa.gov/radiation/docs/as...2-r-03-003.pdf

I'd note the use of "calculate" above...the uncertainty range on that
same page for the estimated number of annual mortalities from Ra-related
lung cancers varies from a minimum of roughly 40% to a maximum of 200%
-- enough to indicate the data are simply not more than ballpark
guesses.

That there's some additional risk is reasonably clear, but to think it's
possible to get an actual value that's more than that is just wishful
thinking....

In other words, from my viewpoint, get the test, if it's really high
consider some abatement perhaps, but it is highly unlikely it will be a
serious health problem. Of course, statistics and probablilities being
what the are, you could be the next case tomorrow whether you do
something or not.