Doug Miller

In article 1108176038.4abe9f130c32678261d87f4b7e2696cc@teran ews, "William Deans" wrote:
Greetings,

The code section that John quoted did not appear to establish a requirement
for me to ground to the water pipe within 5/6 feet unless I wanted to use
the water pipe as part of the grounding electrode system which I don't think
I need to do. I already have a grounding rod and the service is 100 amps.
Is there a section within the NEC which requires this?

Yes, there is. Article 250-81(a) in the 1993 Code (which is all I have at hand
at the moment) *requires* that metal water piping be bonded to the grounding
electrode system. Whether or not you "want" to use the water pipe as part of
the grounding electrode system is immaterial: the Code *requires* it.

--
Regards,