Clive Summerfield

top gear wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

In article ,
top gear wrote:

From new, the gear oil should be dropped after 2K miles and replaced
with Mobil 1 fully synthetic gear oil. Replace every 2nd service, that
is approx every 2 years in most cars. After approx 25k miles add Slick
50 gearbox treatment at each g/box oil change. The transmission will
remain like new for nearly all the life of the car.

If this is the case, do Slick supply a warranty?

I ran a car from new up to 110,000 miles and did what I suggested to the
group. A automotive design engineer suggested the Mobil 1 in the g/box

and
Slick 50.

snipped
off. He has and is now up to around 160,000 miles. The car still sounds
newish, except some belts squeak at bit. His driving is predominantly

stop
start around town, short runs.

A few tears ago I had a boss who had a passat that had done 200,000km -
I supoose about 160k miles?

Ordinary oil, changed by the book, and it was fine.

Way back in 1990 I had a Vauxhall Calibra 2l 16v. In the four years I owned
it, it clocked up 155,000 miles with no special treatment, just serviced
every 9,000 miles according to the service book. No fancy oils or additives
either. The clutch needed attention at 120k, and the shocks went at 140k but
the gearbox and engine were both fine.

Cheers
Clive