Robert Swinney

Gunner,
Twenty amps is a good assumption. The math says, about 24 amps, assuming
50% overall efficiency and a .75 power factor. All this is based on a very
well balanced, "nearly perfect" 5 HP RPC. Ordinarily, I would guess a
welder is not very sensitive to impurities in it's source voltage; so
voltage balance in an RPC should not be a critical factor. Just to be on
the safe side, if the welder has some sort of electronic regulation, make
sure you connect the regulation phase across the 240 volt main.

Bob (as Walenda said, "balance ain't everything) Swinney

"Gunner" wrote in message
How big a welder can I run off a 5hp rotary converter?

I calculate about 20 amps. Is this correct?

Gunner

It's better to be a red person in a blue state
than a blue person in a red state. As a red
person, if your blue neighbors turn into a mob
at least you have a gun to protect yourself.
As a blue person, your only hope is to appease
the red mob with herbal tea and marinated tofu.

(Phil Garding)