J T

Default Old Books

One of my books surfaced the other day, and I was looking through
it. It's one of those I got at my favorite used book store.

Ttitle: BUILD A BOAT For Pleasure or Profit (It's East To Build
Your Own Boat). It's a Popular Mechanics Press book, copyrighted 1941.

Got some powertool info, besides the handtool stuff. Loads of
photos, detailed drawings, information. Several examples of steamboxes,
etc. One thing is doing curved rabbets - with a hammer and chisel.
Most of you guys would want to know how to do it with a router. By the
time you set up to do it with a router, you probably could have done
half a dozen by hand..

You guys that want good books on woodworking really need to start
checking out used bookstores. Prices are very much lower than new
bookstores, and they have books that are lonnng out of print. Not sure,
but I think the most I've paid for any woodworking book is about $9,
lowest 50 cants. My personal woodworking library is larger than the
local library, and probably than the county library's too.

Books like this are geared toward people who aren't professionals,
and have pretty clear instructions. Or, at least what I consider clear.
I guess the authors back then figured people were capable of doing the
work on their own. I think they were right. As a bonus, it has plans
for some very neat boats, and most of them look as good as anything made
today.

I love old books.

JOAT
Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.
- David Fasold