DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Mike Henry wrote:
Kent,

Thanks for the feed back and I'll probably go for the small one that's on
sale. Eagle Rock does make two sorts of scissors knurlers (besides maximum
diameter) and I should have made that much clearer than I did. At the risk
of getting too link happy, here are the two types from Eagle Rock's web
site:

http://www.eaglerockonline.com/KNURLCRAFT/A1201.htm

which I think is the one that Enco has on sale, and

http://www.eaglerockonline.com/KNURLCRAFT/A144.htm

which is apparently their newer, 21st century tool and is available in
standard and up-to-the-shoulder styles. Beyond that I'm not sure what's
different between the two. Maybe they are phasing out the older one.
Mostly I was wondering if the newer style was worth considering.

I would not get the up-to-the-shoulder style unless I explicitly
needed to do that form of knurling. Note that the pin is supported on
only one side (to clear that shoulder), while the other on the same page
is supported on both sides of the knurls. The thicker side contains a
setscrew to hold the pin in place, BTW, to allow changing knurls. And
the kurls are a standard size.

When the pin is supported only on one side, there is more chance
of the pin tilting over time.

I have another style of Eagle Rock knurler. In mine, the clamp
pressure bolt is between the pivot of the arms and the knurls, with no
projection behind the pivot. It works well on a larger machine, but
gravity wants to make it droop when it is clear of the workpiece.

Mine looks more like this one:

http://www.eaglerockonline.com/KNURLCRAFT/A134.htm

and it was purchased from MSC, where it happened to only be labeled
"Made in USA", not labeled by the maker's name. Once I received it, I
discovered that it was an Eagle Rock knurler.

And at that time, a representative of Eagle Rock read this
newsgroup, and sent me a catalog of all the styles which they had at the
time.

But these days I more often use either a T-bar knurler, which mounts in
the turret and feeds on over the end of the workpiece, or an Aloris BXA
size knurler which has two arms on a dovetail which are moved by a
leadscrew connecting them with a left-hand thread on one end and a
right-hand thread on the other.

And I now also have a turret mount cut style knurler, which is
nice if you want the OD to remain constant. (Normal roll knurlers make
the knurl stand a bit proud of the original surface.)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564