On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 22:24:27 GMT, "Backlash"
wrote:

I have a standard electrical outlet supplied by a 20 amp breaker, outputting
118 volts. For something being planned, that circuit is needed to output 125
volts at 20 amps capability. Is there a good method for this, and what is
the most economical, feasable, and most practical method? It needs to be
fairly close to the 125 volt figure, as much as practical. Obviously, a
step-up transformer might be the solution, but what about the ability to
find one to output the 125 volts? Is there a practical homebrew buck and
boost method? I've done a decent amount of industrial, automotive, house
wiring and troubleshooting, but I'm a relative newby at this type of theory,
so be gentle.

Thanks,
RJ

For lower current requirements I have made buck-boost transformers
from old filament power transformers. Say you have 112 volts and need
124, you tie one end of the 12 volt vilament winding to the primary,
and if you got the right ends together going frm the other end of the
primary to the free end of the secondary, you will have 124 volts. If
you got the wrong end connected, you will have 100.

With a big old radio transformer with 5 volt, 6 volt, and 12 volt
secondaries, you have a fair amount of flexability.