John B

Interesting.
I would like to monitor environmental features (temperature, wetness, etc.)
remotely, in a commercial building that I own. Let's say there is an
always-on DSL internet resource in the building. There is one static IP
address associated with the internet subscriber's DSL modem. A firewall
router follows next, and links LAN computers to the internet. That firewall
normally blocks outside folks (like me) that might try to access a wetness
sensor attached to the LAN.

There is generally one port on the router that can be configured to operate
without firewall protection. I could put my sensor on that ("DMZ" i.e.,
DeMilitarized Zone) port.

How does your weather station connect to the internet?

"Dick" LeadWinger wrote in message
On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 20:10:16 -0600, G. Morgan
wrote:

Subject: Freezer temperature alarm
Newsgroup: alt.home.repair
= Eric = wrote:

Can anyone recommend a good add-on freezer temperature alarm?

One way to do it is with a home weather station. I have our freezer
as one of the stations on the weather station. I don't have an alarm
turned on, but I can if I want. My weather station (Oregon Scientific
from Costco) transmits to the Internet from the base console which is
hooked to the computer via a serial cable. With this setup I can
monitor my freezer temperature from anywhere in the world. Not that I
really need to. :-)

Dick