John B

I'm not proposing continual surveillance for CO. I'd only pull my CO tester
out of the workshop drawer occasionally, take it to some heater I'm
interested in, and test the exhaust gasses, room air, etc.

"Gary Dyrkacz" wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 05:31:24 -0800, "John B" wrote:

What if the tester is not permanently mounted? That is, what if the

tester
is brought out only occasionally, from my work-bench drawer?
I know batteries have a shelf life, even if they aren't being used. Are

CO
alarms similarly limited?

"ChrisGW" wrote in message
Bill Browning wrote:
They say to replace your CO alarms every 5 or 10 years. Why? If

they
still
test OK, why replace them?
Bill B.

The sensors are not as sensitive after time, due to many factors

including
dirt
grease etc...

ChrisGW

The why bother with a CO detector at all, if it is in a work bench
drawer? For a CO detector to be useful it needs to be in an area with
a natural airflow. A drawer would not seem to qualify.

I suppose you could be working occasionally with a forge, or gas fired
kiln or some such thing, and then take it out only when you need it.
However, workshop environments are not usually pristine, and I would
think it would still be prudent to change it out after the expiration
date.

Gary Dyrkacz

Radio Control Aircraft/Paintball Physics/Paintball for 40+
http://home.attbi.com/~dyrgcmn/