William Deans

Greetings,

This still doesn't create a requirement for me to ground the circuit breaker
to within a specific number of feet of where the water pipe enters the
building does it? It is only 100 amps service and there is already a
grounding rod with 25 ohms impedance.

Thanks,
William

"John Grabowski" wrote in message
Article 250.52(A)(1) of the 2005 NEC: ..... "Interior metal water piping
located more than 1.52 m (5 ft) from the point of entrance to the building
shall not be used as a part of the grounding electrode system or as a
conductor to interconnect electrodes that are part of the grounding
electrode system."

"William Deans" wrote in message
news:1108170958.2f5d79f7d165805f48344067ea94cc4a@t eranews...
Greetings,

I understand your logic for why they want it connected -- and it already

is
connected with 4 awg solid copper -- but why must it be connected within

6
feet of where it enters the house? The water enters the house on the
opposite side of the basement from where the electrical comes in. There

is
a water-pipe which runs right by the circuit breaker. Why run a 40 foot
grounding wire when a 3 foot will do?

William

"RBM" rmottola1(remove wrote in message
Doug is absolutely correct. The reason they want it connected close to

the
point the water pipe enters the building is to prevent fault currents

from
hurting anyone if a fitting along the pipe gets disconnected. Which is

the
same reason you install a jumper around water meters
"Doug Miller" wrote in message
news In article 1108165344.086189350038cb1a4aa23a6256ddc271@teran ews,
"William Deans" wrote:
Greetings,

I understand that I must ground my water pipe within 6 feet of where

it
enters the basement. My circuit breaker box is 40 feet away on the

other
side of the basement. Is there any reason why I cannot just insert
another
grounding rod near where the water pipe enters the basement and

ground
it
there? Is there some requirement that the two grounding rods be

tied
together by anything but the water pipe?

You're missing the point about this. The idea is not that the water

pipe
needs
to be grounded (it already is, by virtue of being buried in the

ground).
The
point is that the electrical code requires that metal water piping

be
bonded
to the grounding electrode(s) for the electrical service to ensure

that
there
cannot be any voltage differential between the plumbing and the

electrical
safety ground. Verify this with the inspector before doing anything,

but
imagine what he means is that you need to have the grounding bus in

your
electrical panel connected to the water pipe, within six feet of

where
the
water pipe enters the building -- most readily accomplished by

running
an
appropriately-sized copper wire from the panel to within six feet of

where
the
water pipe comes in.

--
Regards,

Nobody ever left footprints in the sands of time by sitting on his

butt.