Dr. Hardcrab

"Snoop Drew" wrote in message
I bought a 5 piece sofa sectional from lazboy for over $4K last Oct. After
just a few months, the chaise and the seat next to it had compressed such
that the cushions don't look square, but rather slumpy. And the edge lines
are no longer straight and smooth, but crooked.
(And yes, we rotate the cushions.)

The technician came out and said he would replace them, but I said that
the
other 3 pieces are made of the same cushioning material and should be
replaced too. But he said they looked fine, and I countered by saying that
that's because they don't get much use.

Moreover, the underside of the arm cap (cloth that covers the arm rest)
was
not stitched up properly and looks amateur. The ends are frazzled and not
clean, with microfiber threads hanging out. This is a major indication
that
the whole sofa was not constructed with quality craftsmanship.

Basically, they have all of our money, but we don't have all of their
product. Lazboy ships us a substandard product from the getgo, and says
that
their warranty policy will take care of whatever quality problems.

I do not want to have to file warranty claims every two months for the
next
3 years, nor do I want to have to rotate and flip my cushions once a week,
which is what I feel is required.

Even if I get the new cushions, the new car feeling is gone. I'm stuck
with
a poor quality sofa. I paid premium dollar from a premium brand, but I did
not get premium product.

I mean I could understand their not accepting a return if I suddenly did
not
like the color or style, but this is a product defect, which they just
want
to patch up by having me go through warranty.

I weigh 180lbs, wife 105, baby 25 with 4 to 5 hours of use at most per
day.

Do I have a legitimate grievance? What other options do I have to try and
get them to return the sofa? Consumer advocacy groups? Local news?

My wife bought a sofa and loveseat a little over a year ago. After about 6
months, the material started to separate between the back and the end of the
loveseat. Now we have 3 kids and a dog, but this was in a area where nobody
sits, leans, plays, or whatever. It wasn't until the second rep came out and
looked at it that they decided they were going to fix it. They came and
picked it up to repair it. They kept it for over 2 months! 4 months later,
it's starting to do it again in two places.

I guess I can't complain because they DID do something about it, but I guess
I'm just unhappy with the quality. I always thought you got quality stuff
through Lazy Boy. Now it seems like they are just scrimping on the quality
and still charging premium prices.