George E. Cawthon

Mr Fixit eh wrote:
Is it really necessary to change the batteries in the smoke detector
every six months? I would think once a year would be plenty, if even
that often.

Mr Fixit eh

No, it isn't. The smoke detector will tell you when it
needs new batteries. When it does tell you (annoying beep),
change the battery. Always use Duracell or equivalent
alkaline type battery. Not all detectors use the same
amount of electricity. Batteries in my detectors all last
longer than a year and some last over 2-1/2 years. Put a
piece of masking tape on the battery when you put it in the
detector and write the date on it. Then you will know how
long they last.