none

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 04:55:31 GMT, "James Sweet"
wrote:

"Bob Shuman" wrote in message
His knowledge of the subject has convinced me that he knows a thing or two
about internal combustion engines used in mowers and such and that current
Briggs and Stratton engines are of poor quality. Prior to reading these
posts I had assumed B&S were good engines based on my personal experience
with them, but then again my current 5KW generator and lawnmowers I used
prior to purchasing the Honda were all made in the mid-80's before they
moved production to the Far East.

Yeah you're probably right, his later post mentioned being manufactured in
the orient, I haven't verified that but if it's true then I'm sure he's
right, B&S has turned to crap like so many other once great brands. A few
others come to mind, Chicago Pneumatic, Delta, and a number of other
formerly very good equipment makers are now just a name slapped on cheap
imported goods. By the time production is shifted to the far east, the cost
cutting has already gone as far as they can reasonably take it and then the
quality control goes to heck.

So what about the other formerly very good motors? Kohler? Wisconsin? I've
seen a lot of those on commercial/industrial equipment in the past.

You'll see the Kohler's/Wisconsin's on heavy duty marine/industrial/
emergency equipment and those that I've serviced are extremely high
quality.
I have noticed that some of the later Kohler's look alot like Toyo's
offerings.( Toyo motor works of Japan puts out a near clone of Honda
and seem to be just as good.)
Even though they(Kohler) still carries a "made in usa" badge.

I've seen both Kohler and Wisconsin used in emergency evac/marine
pumps and on older Bearcat scooters and swamp buggies.

My apologies to all if I've come off like a troll.