William R. Walsh

Hi!

Come on guys, someone has tried to do this somewhere.

I'm sure somebody has, but around here these things exist only in the print
of the manuals for the car. Other than in very new cars where such a thing
might be standard issue, I have never seen one.

Maybe such dashes in older cars are rare enough that the few people who know
how to fix them or have bothered to take them out and have a look are either
keeping to themselves or doing the repair for profit.

There are a number
of internet sites advertising dash repair. And since GM does NOT sell
parts to do this, they have figured out how. Basically, these dashes
have a step up power supply to run the display tubes. Not brain
surgery, just a switcher and some parts.

Well, you're never going to know unless you take it out of there and have a
look at it. Worst case you find that it's somehow potted or uses really
oddball parts.

I suppose locating a working example of the same or a similar dash would
also be a good way to learn. You could make measurements and see what the
circuitry is doing where.

So i ask again, any other braves soles actually dig into one?
Once i get it and dig into it, i will report back.

No, but if I ever happen to see one in an older car (and preferably in the
junkyard) I will take it out and look at it. I'm looking forward to hearing
your report on these.

William