C C

Something to consider doing is building kitchen cabinets if you have the
abilities to do it. You will need to contact the builders and contractors in
the area and sell yourself to them but I would think there'd be more demand
for that than furnature as far as steady support for your family and needs
to tide things over until on your feet with a buisness venture.
CC

"wch" wrote in message
news
Hi,

I lost my job yesterday working at a company that builds furniture in
north
Idaho. I'd been contemplating starting my own woodworking business for
quite some time anyway so this was kinda the final kick in the pants to
get
me to do it.

I have a little experience in residential trimwork and quite a bit of
experience in furniture, jewelry boxes, and general woodworking. So I'm
wondering if any of you good people have similar experiences, what works
for
you, what resources are out there, etc. I found some useful information
doing a Google but thought I'd check here too.

I've looked on ebay to see what kind of furniture is selling and I don't
see
making it building doll furniture and selling it for $3. Many years ago I
tried the craft show route without much success but that might be
something
to try again. I have a friend who does greeting cards at craft shows and
he
said I could give him items to sell on consignment.

I know there are risks here financially but I'm in a position that it's
something I have to do. I have enough tools and equipment to get me
started
and a garage for a workshop so I have the basics.

Anyway, any ideas / input is welcome.

Thanks

Will