Eric Fretheim

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep your URL on tap in case I run
into trouble...
I checked your gallery out. Very nice work!
----
Eric Fretheim

Ken Grunke wrote:
Eric Fretheim wrote:

I'm an amateur woodturner looking into hand metal spinning as an
extension to my craft. I've pretty much established that my Jet can
do the fairly small items I'm considering, once I've purchase a
modified toolrest, but acquiring tools is another subject. The only
manufactured spinning tools available for a home craftsman that I can
locate are a limited selection of tools produced by Sorby. Can anyone
point me to a custom toolmaker familiar with hand spinning tools, or
should I just go to my local machinist and hope for the best?
--
Regards,
Eric Fretheim

I haven't done spinning, but have looked into doing it. In fact, my wood
lathe is converted from what was originally a metalspinning lathe--a
Spinmaster:

http://www.token.crwoodturner.com/shop/

The tools I've seen in textbooks are just steel shafts, with hardened
tips ground and polished to various shapes.

Buy a 36" length of 1/2" oil-hardening tool steel, cut into 3 pieces,
and make your own tools with long wooden handles.

I *am* a custom toolmaker, by the way.

Ken Grunke
La Farge, WI USA