Ken Grunke

Eric Fretheim wrote:
I'm an amateur woodturner looking into hand metal spinning as an
extension to my craft. I've pretty much established that my Jet can do
the fairly small items I'm considering, once I've purchase a modified
toolrest, but acquiring tools is another subject. The only manufactured
spinning tools available for a home craftsman that I can locate are a
limited selection of tools produced by Sorby. Can anyone point me to a
custom toolmaker familiar with hand spinning tools, or should I just go
to my local machinist and hope for the best?
--
Regards,
Eric Fretheim

I haven't done spinning, but have looked into doing it. In fact, my wood
lathe is converted from what was originally a metalspinning lathe--a
Spinmaster:

http://www.token.crwoodturner.com/shop/

The tools I've seen in textbooks are just steel shafts, with hardened
tips ground and polished to various shapes.

Buy a 36" length of 1/2" oil-hardening tool steel, cut into 3 pieces,
and make your own tools with long wooden handles.

I *am* a custom toolmaker, by the way.

Ken Grunke
La Farge, WI USA

--