George E. Cawthon

The real point is that if you live in a single family
dwelling that is relatively modern, the chance of fire is
extremely small. If you don't smoke in bed (or elsewhere)
and you use reasonable sense about lights and extension
cords, your chance of fire is practically nil. The biggest
danger is your children, so if you are really interested in
not having a fire, get rid of that child (especially boy
child). Well, that's a little extreme, however, it is true
that most of the fires in the above mentioned condition are
caused by children playing with matches or lighters and pets
chewing on cords or knocking down hot appliances.

wrote:
On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 08:46:21 -0500, "William Deans"
wrote:

Greetings,

AFCI's reduce the chances of you and your family burning alive in a fire.

Now everyone goes to the extreme. Having about 3 smoke detectors per
person in my house, the likely hood of buring alive is minimal.
But..... the chances of being homeless after a fire is good, and even
having to repair/replace broken water/smoke damaged items and ripped
open walls is more likely in a fire.

So, the extreme is very unlikely, even in fact based statistics, but
preventing the start of fire(fires are more commmon, than fire's with
fatalities), it seems that afci's are cheap.

Still working this out in my head, I haven't commited to it, cause
even gfci's are vastly improved today compared to when they came out.
So, maybe waiting is better.....

later,

tom @
www.URLBee.com

That said they are probably still not worth the extra expense. I don't
think AFCI's should be required (even in new construction) but no one asked
me. You have to draw the line somewhere.

Hope this helps,
William

wrote in message
. ..

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 17:25:34 -0700, "SQLit"
wrote:

"Robert11" wrote in message

Hello:

Anyone replacing circuit breakers in their "older" homes
with these new arc-fault types ?

Any problems with inadvertent tripping, etc. ?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

B.

arc faults are required in bedrooms only with new constuction. My home

was

made in 1999 and does not have them nor would I spend the money to put

them

in.

Can you explain why?

I mean, my house was built in 93, and I plane in the future to replace
most of my bkrs with afci's. So, since I haven't committed the money
yet, I am still evaluating information about the breakers.

later,

tom @ www.Love-Calculators.com