Andy Dingley

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 20:52:06 GMT, "toller" wrote:

From what I have read, larch is a perfectly good wood as long as you avoid
the knots. It simply isn't particulary attractive. Would that be about
right? Any problems with it?

Very prone to twist on seasoning. Apart from that it it's fine. My
bench underframe is made of it, although it's too soft to make a good
top. I do use it for "indoor" work on rough stuff like bech frames,
but mostly it's for exterior timber framing. Being highly resinous, it
lasts longer than Easter Red Cedar (UK climate).

Most stupid thing I've done in the last few years was _not_ buying 10
acres of woodland, just because I didn't like the fact it was larch.
Since then I've used a lot more larch and even got quite fond of it.