Doctor D

I have a 10 year old Ford Escort with 92,000 miles on the clock. It's
served me well but I need to get another 12 months/15,000 miles out of
it before I replace it. Over the last 10,000 miles the gearbox has
started to whine, nothing major but the frequency is particularly
annoying, especially at motorway speeds. Is there any additive that
would make an improvement or have I got to live with it? A friend
suggested "molyslip", anyone tried this?

I have the same problem with the gearbox in my wife's Citroen ZX which we
want to keep another year at most.

The box should use EP 75/80 gearbox oil.
As the noise wasn't present on a cold morning when the oil was thicker, I
decided to change the oil to EP 90 and I used Molyslip though I had received
varying comments about it (the worst being it could wreck the quality of the
gearchange.) I decided if it was too bad I would drain the oil and replace
with new 75/80.

I did this two weeks ago and the change is slightly more notchy, but I think
this has more to do with the thicker oil. The whining is much quieter (and
still getting better) and the vibration at 60mph + has gone completely.
Can't say how much is due to Molyslip and how much due to thicker oil.

The whole job cost me less than £15, is dead easy on a ZX, and has been well
worth it.