David Hearn

Default Methods of cooling a room

With this hot weather and working in an air-conditioned office, I've been
dreaming of trying to get our house's temperature down to something more
comfortable.

Obviously, buying an air-conditioning unit would probably be the best way -
though I think these are quite pricey (I think anything more than £150 would
be out). Also the cheaper ones are very noisy aren't they? Plus, ideally
I'd want a split unit... anyway

I've heard about these evaporative coolers - and I've also heard how people
think they're snake-oil, and I understand how they're physics are doomed to
failure - however I do know of people who claim they work. I guess the
difference is between the temperature we feel and the actual temperature.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. High humidity when its hot means that my
sweat doesn't evaporate as quickly/easily so I feel hot. Surely then
reducing the humidity is the way to go as this will allow my sweat to
evaporate more easily.

So - would a dehumidifier help to reduce how hot I feel? I've never seen
them advertised as being able to do this - whereas things which humidify
(evaporative coolers) seem to claim they do.

Basically I'm confused about it and just want a (reasonably) cheap option
(also preferable movable between living room + bedroom) to cool us down.
Fans may be the best option (price wise) I know - but I'm trying to think of
other options too.

Incidentally, what's the sort of price I should expect for a reasonable
split air-conditioner? I'd love to be able to permanently install one for
the living room - however it then seems a waste as I can't use it in the
bedroom (unless it managed to cool the whole house down!).

Thanks

To send email to me - remove references to NoSpam, and Spammer from my email
address.