Jacob Rosse

Default Building insurance refused because of subsidence

The house that I am buying (3-bed detached in suburban estate) is coming
near to exchange of contracts and I decided to ring up my existing insurer
(esure) to arrange buildings insurance. They told me they wouldn't cover
that post code full stop because of subsidence. All the other insurers I
have had online quotes from today have not mentioned a problem and the
premiums (around £100-200 annual) have not been much more than my current
house (2-bed semi just up the road). Even Halifax and rbs which are supposed
to be in the same group have had no problems offering cover This of course
sent me into a panic and may mean I need a full survey done. Could this be
down to esure cherry picking and refusing based on some minor land slide
claim they have had in the past or should I be seriously worried?

Also the homebuyer professional book that come back with the searches says
it is low risk for subsidence - the post code is NN8 5ZB if anyone can tell
me any more. The lady at esure mentioned something about 10% but not sure
what that means.