LenS

Default Caloric electric range problem

We have a problem with the Caloric electric range which was purchased
by the previous owner of our house in May 1986. The model is
ESR306-2D.

When I turned on the oven to preheat it today, I heard a slight pop
after a couple of minutes. There was a flash of light, and a small
flame appeared on part of the heating element mounted on the bottom of
the oven. The element was just beginning to glow when this happened.

I turned the oven off immediately, but the flame, which rose from a
roughly inch-long white-hot section of the element, continued to burn.

When the flame finally went out, the element wouldn't heat up. I'm
assuming it's burned out.

If this is the case, what's involved in replacing the element? The
element is bent into a kind of rounded "M" shape, with each leg of the
"M" passing through a hole in a small plate screwed to the back of the
oven.

Now, if it's an easy fix, meaning just unscrew the small plates,
remove the old element and put in a new one, I'll consider it. My
wife, of course, wants a new range.

I'm not completely opposed to a new one considering the age of the
appliance and the fact that the timer doesn't work, but I'd just like
to know more about fixing it (assuming I can get the part).

Any comments, suggestions, or ideas will be welcome.

-Len