Appliance Repair Aid

Mark wrote:

I was advised to post the symptoms before buying a new part. The

washing machine goes through all the cycles until the final spin.
When you lift the lid, the water is pumped out but the clothes are
wet. If you close
the lid, then advance the timer to "spin", the clothes spin fine and

the machine shuts down. Doesn't that sound like a timer?

A bad timer is very possible.

Still no model#, but if you have a Whirlpool built direct drive
Kenmore, most will...A copy:

**Inglis, Whirlpool, Kenmore Direct drive washers: This machine is a
forward/reversing style of washer. The motor drives one direction to
wash, stops, reverses and goes the other direction to spin and pump.
The timer is responsible for cycling the motor back and forth. As the
"direct drive" name indicates, there is no belt on this machine, but it
has a coupler between the motor and the gear box. Most ( not all )
direct drive washers are a neutral drain washer, means the timer allows
the washer to pump out the water and then the timer pauses ( stops )
the washer so the neutral drive in the gearbox can reset for spinning,
and when the timer allows the washer to start back up again the pumping
will continue and spinning will occur. You should be able to see the
pauses on the washer wiring diagram flow chart.**

If the "pause" is missing, the timer is likely bad. If the pause is
there but no spin, the gear box neatral drain may be lazy and bad on
entering the spin mode.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Appliance Repair Aid wrote:
Mark Corbelli wrote:
Just about every washing machine I've ever owned has gone through a

period
where it won't advance through the cycles unless you manually spin

the
timer. It's always cost me roughly $150 for parts and labor. Well

it's going
on again with my Kenmore. Is this a simple remove and replace that

can do
myself?

Hi,

Is this a simple remove and replace that I can do
myself?

Probably...but unknown as no model# posted...Kenmore is made by

several
different companies.

http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html
Some model# helps.

It's always cost me roughly $150 for parts and labor.

That's about average!

Some Whirlpool built Kenmore timers....

http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink...hirwastim.html
Look on the back of your old timer as they often put the part# there.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/