Leon

"Mike Reed" wrote in message Yeah, I think I see
the problem.

My experience in my first day with a nail gun was that when I fought
the recoil, sometimes I lost, and I'd get a double fire. Especially
inverted, one-armed, hanging out in some rafters, with a heavy framing
gun. The weight, fatigue, maintaining balance sitting on a 2x4, and the
recoil are sometimes too much, and I was getting double fires.

Yes If you tire and the gun recoils and you are not intending to pull the
gun away after shooting you can get a double fire.

I found that once I got the feel for letting the gun recoil, it would
gracefully jump completely clear, and the nose would not contact again,
and I never got a double fire. I also discovered that this was less
work, and certainly less stress on the tool. Plus it made me a believer
in the product manual.

When I use my finish nail gun I am often in coinfined spaces. Letting the
gun recoil back can often cause the gun to bounce off of other objects and
back down against the safety. Ecentially simulating an unwanted bump fire
mode.

I agree that you won't get a double fire if you prevent the nose from
lifting, but in practice,

This is what I do to prevent the above situation and meant to convey to the
OP Typically I always use both hands when shooting a nail gun.

I find it's easier to just let it bounce
back. I don't get double fires, and I don't fatigue as fast as I did
that first day.

To each his own, but I have the safty instructions on my side. Of
course, as I read this I think how much better I like my TS without
that stupid guard on it...

I some times think safety instructions are for those that have never used a
tool of a particular type. Letting the gun recoil and then preventing it
from falling back in contact with the surface probably is ultimately safer
and especially with a framing gun that has much more recoil than a finish or
brad nailer.

So is this at least understandable?

Yes it is.