Duane Bozarth

tiredofspam wrote:

I would glue it up.. and forget the alternating the rings.... There are
camps for it and against it... alternating causes wavy tables..
Ok, I am going to say oak will do fine, but the open pores of the grain
will haunt you. It will not clean up as well as maple or beach... These
have tighter grain and no open pores. So glue can be cleaned up easier,
finish, dust, other microscopic annoyances. ...

Easily enough solved by using a paste filler and finishing the top...

I always figure making a bench is worth using what is available---after
all, it's only a bench. (I know, that's heresy to some.... )