tiredofspam

I would glue it up.. and forget the alternating the rings.... There are
camps for it and against it... alternating causes wavy tables..
Ok, I am going to say oak will do fine, but the open pores of the grain
will haunt you. It will not clean up as well as maple or beach... These
have tighter grain and no open pores. So glue can be cleaned up easier,
finish, dust, other microscopic annoyances. So I would resort to maple
beach, and use exotics if you want to dress it up some, but stay away
from the open pores... Again, my opinion thought you might want to hear
from the devils advocate.... I always want to know the problems, so I
can make my decision or figure out away around the problems first...

Richard wrote:

I am going to open up another can of worms. I have 2 calif black oak
planks that I plan on using for a bench top 16" X 2 1/2" X 9'. This
bench will be a shaker type.
Now for my question--- can I glue these edge to edge or would it best to
cut them and laminate them to form the bench top?

-

Richard,

Richard L. Rombold
WIZARD WOODWORKING
489 N. 32nd. St.
Springfield, Or .97478

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gallery/...ername=thewizz

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste
good with ketchup"