NSN

THANKS to all who replied. I have a new set of titanium nitride
coated HSS drill bits. I used a 3/16 and 13/32 with plenty of coolant
and a slow speed. EASY !!! The stainless was type 303 and not very
hard.

Having a heavy duty drill press (30 year old Rockwell) and a good vise
helped. My drill bits seem to have tolerated the drilling quite well
and remain sharp.

FYI: I got the bits from Harbor Freight. Over the years I have found
that their drill bits and "good" screwdrivers are as good or better
than my USA stuff (I do have a set of SnapOn screwdrivers for
comparison).

Norm

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 21:07:35 GMT, Steve wrote:

I would buy 2 carbide drill bits. 5/32 and 13/32. If you attempt
with HSS slow with lots of coolant.

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 03:29:27 GMT, NSN wrote:

I am working on a project and will have to drill 8 holes in 8-18
stainless steel. The stock is 3/16" thick. I have good equipment ..
drill press, machinist vise, sharp drill bits, etc. The holes will be
13/32" in size.

Shall I drill in one step or start with a pilot hole and enlarge. If
the latter, what drill sizes should I use?

All suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Norm