Mike Barnes

In uk.d-i-y, Mike Barnes wrote:
In uk.d-i-y, Markus Splenius wrote:
You use wma files - the rights to the format of which are owned by
microsoft. Have you considered using FLAC? FLAC stands for Free
Lossless Audio Codec, and is available free from
http://flac.sourceforge.net/.

Yes, I did consider FLAC, in fact I went further than that and
downloaded and tried it. I seem to remember that the Winamp input
plugin(s) that I tried were unreliable. Or perhaps the tagging was
weird. Or something, I really don't remember the details, but I do
remember that it didn't work out.

By a strange coincidence I've just stumbled across the piece of paper
with the matrix of tick-boxes that I used to select a file format. FLAC
lost out on iTunes support. Also rejected were WAV (no tags) and Apple
Lossless (no Winamp support). Those deficiencies might have been
overcome by now but having encoded over 500 CDs there's no point in
changing format until I have to.

--
Mike Barnes