B a r r y

Mark & Juanita wrote:

It may be an inconvenience, but
it's unavoidable, they aren't out there deliberately inconveniencing
others.

Are you kidding? G "Deliberately inconveniencing others"?

Few cyclists LIKE riding roads like you describe, but they HAVE TO in
order to get to the more desirable roads. Many road cyclists go 50,60,
75, or more, miles on a good weekend ride. We would LOVE to stay out of
your way, but often have zero choice when connecting one area to another.

Should they load up the car and drive from 5 mile loop to 5 mile loop?
Ride in circles on a running track?

plus the half dozen to a dozen other yuppies out
there in their oh-so-manly lycra-spandex bike suits

Those suits are incredibly comfortable and functional. If you got out
much, you'd see cross country skiers, ice skaters, climbers, and long
distance runners in similar clothing. Even major league baseball,
football, and basketball players are discovering how well this stuff
works. As a 40 year old, 6'1", 230 pound man who also plays hockey,
downhill mountain bikes, uses power tools, lifts weights, etc... I've
never felt less than manly wearing jeans, hockey pants, or spandex bike
shorts.

I guess my manlyness certainly doesn't come from my clothes, as I even
feel manly naked! Besides, some of the women I ride with look
incredible in those shorts. G

FWIW, I frequently use my bikes as genuine transportation. I'm actually
going somewhere else, including my office. I'm often dressed in spandex
on these rides, too, for performance and comfort reasons. Maybe I
should start wearing a sign stating my recreational vs. transportation
intent?

Barry