dave

Default AC to AC/DC buzzbox welder conversion - any of these parts suitable?(pix)

I've dismantled what looks to me like a huge (probably 1987 vintage)
standby UPS (uninteruptable power supply). looks like it contains a nice
big rectifier bridge (with four diodes and 2 'unknown' black things on
it). also on the same unit are two small mini-circuit boards, which
serve 'function unknown'. anybody with ANY clues whatsoEVER welcome to
respond :-) becasue I'm in a 'zero visibilty fogbank' here....

here it IS:

http://members.cox.net/dave_c/bridge_rectifier_etc/

also found within same unit a huge transformer, which might become
(after being partially unwound then part REwound) the core transformer
of a 'homebrewed' welding high frequency converter ('later' :-).
comments appreciated as to wether or not some/any, or none of these
parts could be suitable for purposes intended (mainly the AC to AC/DC
miller thunderbolt220 volt buzzbox conversion purpose), and, if that's
'totally unknown without their specs', what test procedures I could
follow to determine wether or not these parts are
a. in fact still 'good', and/or
b. how their specific capacities,'specs', or ratings can be determined?
(when not found on net)

please no "just buy a new or used one" replies after circuit design
etc I intend to house the AC/DC "adapter" in a seperate (probably old
computer) case.

I'm not even sure IF (one of the components pictured) *IS* a bridge
rectifier, jus' for starters :-/

thanks for educating me

box

ps-some of the threads below gave me this hairbrained idea ;-).

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...2a632e04b91bad
thread: change your AC welder to AC/DC- *how*

http://www.tigdepot.com/products/p35TD-BBTF.htm
Mr Tig-conversion ideas for buzzbox to AC/DC/TIG box....

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...dc5125b81d34d7
another thread on AC/DC diodes/chokes and bridges

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...15305e672 66e
using SCR to change AC to AC/DC welders...maybe

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...8c25a7372 c9b
or maybe use 150 amp diodes in the bridge

guy built a BULLETPROOOF bridge rectifier....

and some of the "high frequency unit - build it yourself idea" threads:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...1e726748458399
thread re hi frequency DIY

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaver...tarter/hf.html
Welding Arc Stabilizer-homemade DIY high-frequency

http://www.hotrodders.com/t43272.html
TIG "arc starters"-thread

http://www.electronics-list.com/Top_...struction.html
tersla coil-Construction, Best Links (tesla coil primary circuits and
"high frequency adapter welder" boxes are VERY similar, components-wise,
according to some threads)

http://www.electrophile.8m.com/bargsors.htm
The Basement-obtaining tesla parts VERY CHEAPLY-how