workinprogress

"E Gregory" wrote in message
workinprogress wrote:
I'm preparing to sell my house. It's a modest dwelling, 2br 1 bath. My
kitchen cabinets are slab particle board with a thin veneer. They look
"ok". Some parts have the veneer starting to come off if you look

closely,
which a prospective buyer probably would. The bathroom vanity looks

worse
as moisture has taken it's tool on the particle board; I'll probably

just
replace that outright.

I'm just trying to get a feel for which direction I should go in the
kitchen. I've heard of cabinet refacing and if that would make it look
decent at a lower cost I'd go with that. I think I could install

everything
myself even if I got all new cabinets. My main goal is that the house

shows
well enough without me having to spend thousands of dollars that I won't

get
back on resale.

If I were your prospective buyer I would perfer to take some $$ off the
price and redo myself, at least in the kitchen. If the bathroom is
really bad your idea to replace the vanity is good, shouldn't be too
expensive, doing this in the kitchen would be expensive. Clean things
up in the kitchen, make whatever minor repairs you can (like reglue
veneer that's loose), and put her out there! To me this would be much
better than if you do a half-fast remodel job.

Good luck,
Eileen

Thanks so much to everyone. Based on all of the suggestions I think I'll
stick with leaving the kitchen cabinets and replacing the bathroom vanity,
which is really the answer I wanted to hear so I'm doubly happy. I'm going
to re-paint inside and out myself also so that should sparkle things up too.