Jim M

"RB" wrote in message
Just finished having a bunch of stumps ground off. They were associated
with big pine trees, and were storm damage aftermath.

The grinding process has left fairly large piles of shavings/chips. My
inclination is simply to spread those out around the crater areas, instead
of removing and disposing of.

Is this a good solution? I've got a drag harrow type thing that, towed by
my tractor, will make quick work of spreading and levelling, if that's an
acceptable thing to do with this kind of leavings

Hello RB,

We just had 22 poplar trees fell and stumps gound up. The stump
grindings are fantastic to keep weeds down when spread around your perenials
and also hold moisture after a rainstorm. Stump grinding are great also for
winertizing a strawberry patch or saving any other short perenial from
frost. I wouldn't just fill them in the craters...in fact I dug my stump
grindings out as best as I could and replaced it with garden soil as I
damned near broke an ankle when I stepped in one... hope that was of some
help....Jim