The Natural Philosopher

not_of_this_world wrote:

I hope this isn't OT, but I am doing it myself.
I have been asked to transport a block of reinforced concrete.
It is approx. 20 cu. metres and is supposedly 80 tonnes.
This seems a bit on the heavy side to me, I had thought reinforced concrete
was
approx. 3 t/m which would give a weight of 60 tonnes (ish).
I suppose it is a 'piece of string' question as I don't know the
specification
of the materials used. OTOH, could different mixes cause a weight increase
of 25/30%?
For info, the block is 'U' shaped and 3 metres in each direction. The
central gap is 1m wide and approx. 2.5m high. The whole is supported on a
steel frame for transportation. Overall dimensions & weight given include
this steel frame.

The steel is pretty heavy stuff you know, Concrete is 2-3tons a cu
meter, but steel is far heavier.

Is your name atlas? Or are you actually using a vehicle rather than
doing it yourself?
;-)

Many thanks

Nick.