Jerry G.

As for computer equipment, some types will work in both countries. As
long as the power supply can work in 120 VAC / 60 Hz for North America
you will be okay.

As for audio and video equipment, as for stereo recievers, VCR's, DVD
players, and TV sets, this is where you will have a lot of problems.
The broadcast system here in North America is NOT compatable, and your
TV hardware will not be very usefull over here, if you plan to use it
for watching local programing, or using localy recorded materials.

Before coming over to North America, have all your archives copied over
to the NTSC standard that is used over here. When you come here, you
can then buy NTSC type television equipment, and you will be okay.

Your sound system for audio will be okay, except for the tuner section.
The frequency alocations are different in North America.

For the TV system, it is not only the frequency alocations that are
different, but so are the methods of decoding the video, and audio.

--

As for any appliances that you bring over to North America, make sure
that they can work on 120 VAC / 60 Hz.

If your equipment is 220 VAC, and can work on 60 Hz, it is possible for
an electrical contractor to install some 220 VAC outlets in your home
for you. Our major cooking appliances, and heating systems usually work
on 220 VAC / 60 Hz over here.

Jerry G.
========

wrote:
Hi,

I am looking to buy an inkjet printer, DVD recorder with hard disk,

and
home theater system. The problem is that I am living in Italy
(220V/50Hz) and may move to the U.S. (110V/60Hz) in the future. I
would the option to use these electronics in both countries.

I have the option of buying the products in the U.S., but would

prefer
to buy them here in Italy. From a technical standpoint, is it better
to step down from 220/50 to 110/60 or step up?

I would like to avoid purchasing a voltage transformer/converter. Is
it feasible to have these products rewired by an electrician to

handle
both voltages and frequencies?

I assume there is some form of a motor in all of these products. Is
this a problem as far as the frequency is concerned?

Thanks in advance for the help!