Rich Coers

For your best research, visit with interior decorators. I had a custom
woodworking business for 8 years. All my best work always came from interior
decorators. They can presell your skills and abilities to the customer
before you show up for the first visit. They will want a referral fee, bit
it sure was worth it. A custom woodworker has to sell himself before he
sells his work. You have to convince the customer that you are up to the
task, and then they must trust you to give you a downpayment to start the
work. Nothing like word of mouth to sell your work as well. I don't know how
many times the little touches helped sell the next job. When I installed
anything, the vacuum cleaner was the last tool to be used.

My last suggestions, have a wife with insurance and a steady job. You'll
need it. Also have a good credit card, you'll need that for groceries while
you wait for the big payoff check at the end of the job.

Rich
"wch" wrote in message
news
Hi,

I lost my job yesterday working at a company that builds furniture in
north
Idaho. I'd been contemplating starting my own woodworking business for
quite some time anyway so this was kinda the final kick in the pants to
get
me to do it.

I have a little experience in residential trimwork and quite a bit of
experience in furniture, jewelry boxes, and general woodworking. So I'm
wondering if any of you good people have similar experiences, what works
for
you, what resources are out there, etc. I found some useful information
doing a Google but thought I'd check here too.

I've looked on ebay to see what kind of furniture is selling and I don't
see
making it building doll furniture and selling it for $3. Many years ago I
tried the craft show route without much success but that might be
something
to try again. I have a friend who does greeting cards at craft shows and
he
said I could give him items to sell on consignment.

I know there are risks here financially but I'm in a position that it's
something I have to do. I have enough tools and equipment to get me
started
and a garage for a workshop so I have the basics.

Anyway, any ideas / input is welcome.

Thanks

Will