SteveB

"workinprogress" wrote in message
I'm preparing to sell my house. It's a modest dwelling, 2br 1 bath. My
kitchen cabinets are slab particle board with a thin veneer. They look
"ok". Some parts have the veneer starting to come off if you look
closely,
which a prospective buyer probably would. The bathroom vanity looks worse
as moisture has taken it's tool on the particle board; I'll probably just
replace that outright.

I'm just trying to get a feel for which direction I should go in the
kitchen. I've heard of cabinet refacing and if that would make it look
decent at a lower cost I'd go with that. I think I could install
everything
myself even if I got all new cabinets. My main goal is that the house
shows
well enough without me having to spend thousands of dollars that I won't
get
back on resale.

We just did a remodel of our kitchen from 1978 cabinets. In 1984, I built a
house, and custom cabinets were $4300, I believe. These ran $22,000. Even
at Home Depot, cabinets are spendy, and I do not believe you would recoup
the cost. And then, you have to do the countertops, and all the stuff that
gets messed up when you take out old cabinets.

Just MHO. The new cabinets look like a million dollars, though. They
should.

Steve