Jerry G.

People must have been putting their fingers on the screen surface, thus
damaging the coating.

When people come over to my place, or where I work, I warn them to not touch
the screen, unless they are interested in replacing it for me.

I have a sign on the top of my monitors, "NEVER Touch The Screen Surface, Or
Your Knuckles Will Be Broken".

--

Jerry G.
=====

"Jack Zeal" wrote in message
Okay, it's a little weird.

I have a refurb Dell P991 (IIRC) monitor (19", flat trinitron). It has
a weird oily looking dirt on it which won't come off.

I note every other monitor like it I've seen (my local college has
dozens) also has it. It's largely only visible when the monitor's
powered down. It smears around when you try and clean it.

What doesn't work:

-Dish soap (tiny bit in water)
-Alcohol diluted
-Eyeglass cleaner