Karl Townsend

Pay attention to the caution already offered on grinding steel. Diamond is
destroyed by steel when applied at high speed----it actually is dissolved
into the steel, cutting its useful life very short by dulling it until it
doesn't cut well. Relieving it on an aluminum oxide wheel at a greater
angle is the typical method of avoiding contact with a diamond wheel.
Using
a green wheel presents the same problems that diamond does---it, too, is
soluble in steel. It's silicon carbide.

Harold,

I've gotten fair life out of the green wheel for ruffing brazed carbide bits
on the the Baldor grinder. But I'm sure I'll have to replace it sometime.
I've not seen aluminum oxide Baldor wheels, are they made? Will aluminum
oxide cut carbide at all? I always thought carbide just bounces off.

I've always used the green wheel cause I don't know any better.

Karl