DE

Default Engine machining and material question

I currently have a Kohler twin cylinder air cooled engine torn down on
the bench. It's not well supported by the factory, overpriced parts
ect. I'd like to put valve seat inserts in it. It's a cast iron
jug.. Thinking bore the hole using a mill and then turn the insert
to fit. Turn insert .003 under size, press fit. Any thoughts on
expedient material for insert, this is non critical lawn & garden
application. Anything else I'm missing here?

Also the jugs have worn a taper at the upper end, normal repair is
bore oversize, use new piston. No way am I paying $116 each for new
pistons on this beast. Old pistons are serviceable, looks like a dry
sleeve would bring it back to standard. The lower part of the bore
is not excessivly worn. Federal Mogul has a 9" sleeve that would
do the trick.
Do I bore .003 over the sleeve size,? Can just the tapered part be
sleeved and rebored/honed to spec?

Any words of wisdom appreciated.

DE